Friday, December 26, 2008

fitter, happier

it occurred to me today while i was putting in some much needed treadmill time that i haven't been able to wear my favorite pair of jeans in about five years. yeah, FIVE YEARS. give it a minute to let that sink in, i sure had to... now i could get all depressed about this subject and come up with various justifications and reasonings for my lack of favorite-jeans-appreciation, but that is not the point of all this [nor is it a characteristic i choose to oblige]. perhaps my endorphins played a part in my reaction or it was the playlist i was running to - i'm not sure - but this realization inspired me to push harder and go farther/longer than i have in quite awhile. more importantly, though, this "little" factoid sparked those feelings of determination and ambition i had for being fit [and healthy] that somehow got lost five-ish years ago. i can't really explain it - but my sense of dedication to physical fitness came back just as quickly as it was lost... and guess what? it felt soooo good!

now my reasoning for blogging about this is two-fold; first of all, it means a lot to me that these feelings have returned. over the past four-five years, i have had more than a few bouts of, "i'm going to hit it hard [come monday]!" and, "it's high time i get back in shape!" ... but nothing has quite sparked like what happened today. like i said, i can't explain it... i feel this is important for myself to put down in writing, so here we are. i also feel that blogging about this holds me accountable to keeping it up. being accountable is huge for me - so i really can't think of a better way to accomplish these things...

i plan to write a weekly blog about where i'm at and how i'm feeling. and also, about how the jeans are fitting. :) hopefully you people will enjoy reading about this journey as well. i got a new app for my iphone called "iShape" that will help me track my progress. i hope to be brave enough to post before and after photos, but for now, those will remain private... for obvious reasons. :)

post script: the title is from a radiohead song you can find on ok computer

5 comments:

Em said...

yay anj! congrats. now get ready for st george, ya hear? me and doge would love it.

anjer said...

I'm in for the half! You full marathoners are far too ambitious for the likes of me.

Mrs B said...

OK. I need some of your ambition. I also need a treadmill. It's too stinkin cold to run outside, but I AM doing a half next year- probably the biggest goal I've ever set for myself & I may need a little push. Let's get together so you can lend me some of your excitement.

anjer said...

jaime! lets do this - traning with a pal is much better than on one's own.

you up for the slc halfy in april? april 18 to be exact? i can get your registration take care of [read: free]. i know people who know people.

Mrs B said...

Ummm. That's very, very soon. I'll work towards it, but must be honest- don't know if I'll be ready. I would LOVE to do it with you, so I'll work hard & keep you updated!