Thursday, December 4, 2008

i think she loves me...

after a busy, busy morning i get back to my desk and find the following e-note in my inbox. thanks, mom. you made me teary.

Anji,
Today in the paper, I saw where KUER is asking people to write first person insights into what "the author" feels is important. It is for essays to be considered to be read on "This I Believe" series. I think I have heard it before, but not thinking of any of the essays specifically. You are such a good writer, I thought you might be interested.
With your gift, you could start writing for the fun of it and submit your articles "like" to McSweeney or something. You laugh but I bet your stuff is just as good. Perhaps having a little time at work, you could use this to springboard your hobby into being "known" as a writer/entertainer. I really think you are THAT GOOD. I have your first published work "Pile of Petals" to show your started long ago!
Just a thought cuz I love you!!
If you want more info on this KUER thing..It was in Section E/The Mix under Finds on the front page. It is titled What do you believe? Send as an email attachment to cwc@slcc.edu and include "This I Believe" in the subject line. For more info it says to contact Christina Smith at Christina.Smith@slcc.edu of 801-957-4992.
Hope you have a GREAT day. This I believe you deserve!! :-)

---------

sidenotes:

-the articles "like" that my lovely mother is referring to are, for the most part, complete satire. so i think she says "like" because they're not what she's accustomed to reading in martha stewart. also important to consider, they may be about you or someone you know. i cannot guarantee that they won't be offensive to said persons. i can guarantee, however, that they will make you laugh.

-"pile of petals" was written for the literary magazine in junior high or high school. do not ask to see it because i won't show it to you.

-if you are unfamiliar with mcsweeney's quarterly concern, i suggest you remedy that situation immediately by clicking on the link to the left.

-finally, i feel it necessary to point out that when she said i could be an "entertainer," she did not mean adult entertainment. clean it up, people.

5 comments:

Lumpy said...

first of all DANG (referencing your 4th sidenote)...second of all, i think you should totally submit your writing. i obviously havent read anything youve written other than your blog, but i always like reading your humor and wit so i think you should do it.

Mrs B said...

Awww. That's so sweet of your mama! Isn't that the best. & YES you should submit some writing, you talented little beauty! Oh- & if I BEG will you show me said published work?

anjer said...

lumpy: well, the fourth was meant to be a joke. i doubt she finds it funny, but i do so doesn't that count for something?

jaime: maybe i'll show you - since we're kindred spirits and all. and also, because we'll get a GOOD laugh over it.

thank you both for your kind words.

anjer said...

HOLD UP!

i just remembered that in the eighth grade i was published in seventeen magazine! this is no joke - i couldn't make something like this up. i wrote a letter to the editors about [cough, blush] jared leto... and the quote they published, that i actually stole from a friend but-oh-well-i-got-in-seventeen-and-she did-not, was:

"jared leto is so hot he could give third degree burns." -anji, slc, ut

i need to track that magazine down. why wasn't scrapbooking big in the 90s??

True*Lu said...

Ha! I remember that very Seventeen magazine comment, and I remember you showing it to me. Obviously, it was you, cuz who else spells their name with a j instead of a g, and without the e??

So, are you going to enter? If so, I want to read what you submit.

Hey, do it!