Thursday, December 11, 2008

JemCon and jem's influence on my life

i randomly came across a photo of a keytar today. it reminded me of my jem and the holograms plastic keytar toy i had in the second grade. i even took that keytar to show-and-tell and remember getting made fun of relentlessly by the popular girls for it [namely, jennifer kauffman]. did i care? not really, because that thing was awesome! soooo awesome, in fact, the top even lifted-up for a storage area! and a 'funny' sidenote: jem's shoes fit ken [barbie's boy-toy] so he became a cross-dresser and stayed in the keytar at all times [mom, you might have wanted to look into that]... anyway, i quickly google-image-searched "jem and the holograms keytar" and although i couldn't find anything on the keytar, i found a link to a thing called JemCon ... a convention for jem enthusiasts! seeing as how i'm in the convention business, this might be something i could convince to come to salt lake... but probably not.

so back to jem, she meant a lot to me. grandma holt even had a special jem coloring book that only i got to color in. she'd bring it out just for me when we'd come to visit. spoiled much? you betchya! that grandma holt was amazing.

and another jem story: for my sixth birthday all i wanted was a jem figurine/doll. i remember my dad being gone all day shopping for one... turns out he didn't find one so i got jem's best friend, kimberly, instead. kimberly?! she was no jem. this was a big deal to six-year-old little me. and although he tried, i used to joke that this was the beginning of the daddy-disappointment ... he doesn't read this blog so i'm ok in saying that.

in closing, here's a photo:

that's kimberly playing the keyboard - wait a minute - maybe dad was just foreseeing something in my future?! whatever it is - jem will always hold a special space in my heart. as will that keytar!

No comments: